No creative sparks.

Monday, November 01, 2004

Chapter 2 - Part 1

Lisa took down her school nametag, shoving it into one of the netted sidepockets of her haversack. I watched as she undid yet another button of her school blouse. She noticed I was staring, and I could almost felt the heat from her blush. Or maybe it was just the weather.

"Sorry, hot ah." she said, her voice with the usual nochalance. She picked up a thin book, fanning herself. It was Tuesday evening. Samat had Karate lessons at the nearby Community Centre: his Mom made him join after she caught him screaming at the sight of a cockroach. Ah Pui had tuition lessons at home because his Maths results were real lousy. That was why I was alone with Lisa at our usual marble table.

It was 6pm, my Ma knew I was with Lisa, but she did not mind because she said "Lisa is a good girl". "She is in Stamford Girls, and she will help you with your studies!" Mom said. Stamford Girls is supposed to be one of the best secondary schools in Singapore.

Lisa does not help me with my studies. I didn't ask her for help either. We usually minded our own business: she reading a new book from the library, me finishing up the homework I had on that day. My homework was increasing: my school teachers were getting worried as the Primary School Leaving Examinations were coming.

I drew a doodle on one of my pages of the Maths Textbook. I could use my blue pen to draw because no one else will be using the textbook after me, unlike Samat who had to pass on his textbooks to his younger sisters when they grow older. I looked up once again from the doodle, to find Lisa engrossed within the book which she had just used to fan herself.

"Lord of the Flies," I read her book title aloud. She looked up, frowning slightly. "Philip, do your work." Woh, stern voice.

"Finish already!" I said, picking up some of my worksheets to show her. In a flick of a second, she snatched the papers from my hands, glancing through the content, nodding and occasionally giving the acknowledging 'hmmm' sound.

"Good. Your mother would probably stop asking me to coach you in your school work." she said, shoving the worksheets back into my face. My Ma has been speaking to Lisa? Now that was weird.

"But you don't help me with my work at all," I said, matter-of-factly.

She looked up from her book once again, sighing heavily. "I don't know what impression I had given to her, but your mother has been thinking that I am the free tuition teacher she didn't have to hire for you, dear Philip." she said, "Now not only I have to play 'big sister' to you, I have to be pretend to be your mentor."

"Mentor?" I asked. She had always been talking so fast and using words I did not understand.

"Never mind, lah." she said, waving me off. I returned to doodling on my textbook.

A few minutes later, the familiar ring from the brass-bell sounded, much to my delight. I left the table, without inflicting much of an interest from Lisa, who seemed lost in her own book fantasy.

4 Comments:

  • hmmmmmm... so lisa is paid to be phillip's friend? cant be... is she sincere? i like this chapter... especially the description on samat and pui. you didnt leave them out :) whee!

    KEEP ON SWIMMING!!!!!!!!

    By Blogger Harlina, at November 2, 2004 at 4:48 PM  

  • Hmmmm...How old are these lot of children supposed to be?
    You mentioned the protagonist watching Lisa undoing another button on her blouse...
    Sounds semi-erotic don't you think?

    By Blogger Lecter, at November 5, 2004 at 12:05 AM  

  • jy!!!! why arent you continuing with your story?? time is running out, hurry hurry!!! just regurgitate familiar tales with an odd spin! hahha. hope u fine-dee-dandy. see you guys soon! have fun with your school-free, stress-free life! if life could ever be stressful!

    -j0yce!!!-

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 6, 2004 at 10:37 AM  

  • Hey there. I'm another Singaporean! Lord of the Flies is an awesome book. Love it. I'm writing for NaNoWriMo too - "http://chewgum.blogspot.com". Ha. See you around!

    By Blogger The Unorthodox Meerkat, at November 7, 2004 at 5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home